Saturday, June 30, 2007

Time Stand Still

In the movie "Click", Adam Sandler comes into possession
of a remote control which allows him to fast forward
through the dull and boring (according to his
disastrously incorrect assessment) years of his life.
SPOILER ALERT:

He winds up missing his kids' childhoods,
ruining his marriage and wasting his last years with
his parents.


If I had such a remote control, I'd be tempted to hit the
pause button so that the current reality could be frozen
for a good long time. It's summer. We just had a pleasant,
stress-free fun vacation with my Mom. My child is in a delightful
pre-adolescent state in which he is great company, low
maintenance, and likes having me around. His team just last
night won their final play-off game and will now go to the
Greenbelt World Series next week. He is healthy and happy,
with good and nice friends. At work, I have relatively few
deadlines or dreaded tasks, an enthusiastic and good student,
and several interesting data sets to get through which should
produce some nice results in a reasonable time. My colleagues
are all good to work with, and great to know. In aCappellaLand,
our CD is almost done, awesome sounding and looking, and I
believe it will be well received. We just did a benefit
concert last night that we all enjoyed, and we sounded good.
One of my son's friend's dad's was supposed to go to Iraq
but was relieved of the assignment due to a medical condition.
We just found out when we saw him walking down the lane Monday
evening.

In short, this is a special time in which many many things
seem to be going very very well, and it is a pleasure to float
through these days. I want to "freeze this moment a little bit
longer", in the words of Neil Peart in the Rush song "Time
Stand Still". I know exactly what he was talking about.

No comments: